During the winter there is nothing I love more then a big bowl of soup. I crave the comfort and warmth and love the ease of most soup recipes. My husband on the other hand is not a soup guy and always claims he doesn’t like them because “it’s not a meal.” Hmph.
In order to satisfy both our desires I came up with this quick and easy One Pot Turkey Sausage Tortellini soup. It’s packed with veggies and totally customizable. Sometimes I use spicy chicken sausage for a little kick, other times regular old ground chicken or turkey. You can also throw in whatever veggies you’d like- I tend to keep mine simple for the picky husband and toddler.
One Pot Turkey Sausage Tortellini Soup:
- 1-2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 20 ounces/1.25 lbs Turkey Sausage- I used Shady Brook Farms Sweet Italian – casings removed (or ground turkey or chicken)
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 Celery stocks, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Summer Squash, chopped
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning, or fresh herbs to taste
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 64 oz Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 28 oz Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (I’ve also used diced)
- 20 oz Cheese Tortellini
- Parmesan Cheese for topping
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute onion for 4-5 minutes until it begins to soften. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add sausage, breaking up with a spoon and stirring on occasion until cooked through.
- Next, add in chopped carrots, zucchini, summer squash and any other veggies you are using, italian seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Cook for a few minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- At this point add in chicken stock and crushed tomatoes and let cook for a bit over medium low heat.
- Add in the tortellini, bring to a boil for 5-6 minutes and reduce to low heat, covered until ready to serve!
Let me know if you try it! Xox Annie