Remember when a summer reading list was a thing to dread back as a kid? Just as your winding down for a summer spent with friends your teacher hands out the summer reading list, filled with books you know will be boring and likely include civil war stories. Well, I was oddly that kid that LOVED summer reading lists and looked forward to them each and every year. Sure, they certainly included books I didn’t enjoy but reading has always been a huge passion of mine! A way to check out, unwind, and get lost in a life that isn’t mine for a bit.
These days, you won’t find me reading about war stories or history. Instead, more often then not I am looking for a steamy romance or a action packed suspense novel that can draw me in within the first few pages. I plan to read at least three books this summer while lounging on the beach (HA! with a toddler… funny), or in the evenings after he has gone to bed and the sun is still out. How perfect does that sound? Sitting outside with a glass of wine, reading a good book and waiting for the sun to set. Heavenly!
2017 Summer Reading List
this post may contain affiliate links. I will make a small profit only if you make a purchase after clicking on one of my links.
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, a New York Times bestseller. Each summer the wealthy, seemingly perfect, members of the Sinclair family gather on their private island. We Were Liars is the story of those annual reunions; in particular what happened during a summer that protagonist Cadence is unable to remember. Prejudice, greed, and shifting patriarchal favoritism among the three adult sisters contrasts with the camaraderie and worldview of the teenage cousins and their dear friend Gat. Lazy days of sticky lemonades on the roof and marathon Scrabble games give way to twisty suspense, true love, and good intentions gone horribly wrong.
- Into The Water by Paula Hawkins. If you were a fan of The Girl On The Train then this book will be right up your alley! The same author, Paula Hawkins, brings you yet another psychological suspense about a single mother found dead at the bottom of a river. She unfortunately isn’t the first woman to be found dead in the river and Into The Water will keep you flipping the pages to learn more!
- Uganda Be Kidding Me by Chelsea Handler. Did you ever get into the Chelsea Handler shows? One of my friends was obsessed for the longest time and she bought me all of her books and took me to see her stand up show for my 21st birthday! In person she kept me laughing the entire time and her books were no different. I can’t wait to read all about her wild antics in her newest book!
- Confess by Colleen Hoover. I am a total sucker for any Colleen Hoover book (this one is my favorite!). They are easy reads with characters that are totally relatable. She writes in such a way that pulls you in, feeling each and every emotion that the characters themselves experience. Confess is about risking everything for love—and finding your heart somewhere between the truth and lies.
- The One And Only by Emily Giffin. Truthfully, I’ve never read an Emily Giffin book! I know everyone raves about them as a perfect summer time read and this one finally calls out to me! Named one of the best books of the year by Popsugar, The One and Only is an extraordinary story of love and loyalty—and an unconventional heroine struggling to reconcile both.
So there you have it! All the books on the top of my summer reading list! I plan to start with Into The Water and then see how I feel after that!